Sample Template of an Asbestos Register
What is asbestos management? What is an asbestos register? All is answered in this article PLUS a free downloadable asbestos register sample.
What is Asbestos Management?
A person who is considered the manager or controller of a workplace must ensure that a written plan (an asbestos management plan) is prepared if asbestos has been identified anywhere on the site.
The asbestos management plan must:
- Clearly show site visitors the location of asbestos and any naturally occurring asbestos
- Include decisions made and their justification about the management of asbestos at the workplace. An example of this would be safe work procedures and control measures.
- Outline procedures in the event of an incident or emergency involving asbestos, including responsible/accountable persons.
- Be maintained with up-to-date information.
- Be reviewed at least every five years or when requested by a health and safety representative (HSR) or when asbestos is removed, disturbed, sealed or enclosed, or when changes to a control measure are made or when the plan is no longer adequate.
- Be accessible to any worker or the PCBU who has carried out or intends to carry out work at the workplace and any health and safety representatives who represent workers at the workplace.
- Provide information, consultation, and training responsibilities to workers carrying out work involving asbestos.
What is an Asbestos Register?
The asbestos register is a document that lists all identified asbestos in the workplace. This is typically software-based to ensure real-time updates of asbestos information.
The person with management or control of a workplace must ensure an asbestos register is prepared and kept at the workplace.
An asbestos register is not required for a workplace if:
- The workplace was a building that was constructed after 31 December 2003, and
- No asbestos has been identified in the workplace, and
- No asbestos is likely to be present at the workplace from time to time.
Fill out the form to download this template.
"*" indicates required fields